Apply for Applied Science (Biology) Higher National Certificate (HNC) ...
The subject of Biology encompasses studies from the atomic to the planetary – or even extra-terrestrial scale. As such, you may be reluctant at an early stage in your biological career to limit your studies to a narrow field. The HNC level 4 qualification provides an excellent grounding in the key concepts and practical skills required for progressing onto further studies, such as a BSc,
or into employment.
The modules covered on this course offer a wide variety of subjects extending from molecular and cellular biology to biodiversity, and cover all of the five kingdoms. With an emphasis on taught
modules, delivered through a diverse range of methods that reflect the diversity of learners’ needs and a high level of practical work, you will develop your technical, numerical and analytical skills.
You will study the following eight modules:
• Cell biology
• Biochemistry of Macromolecules
• Ecological Principles and their Application
• Physiology of Cellular Systems in Animals
• Human Health and Nutrition
• Laboratory Techniques
• Personal and Professional Development
• Analysis of Scientific Data and Information.
Special Features: Within the scheme, there is opportunity for students to attain a level of professional practice. Strong links with industrial laboratories facilitate industry-related briefs and real scenarios that provide an opportunity for students to acquire professional work ethics, time planning skills and working within a professional science team. Learning is supported through a series of contextual visits.
Skills and Knowledge Developed:-
The programme aims to:
• Provide the appropriate knowledge and understanding required for the practice of biological science in the workplace
• Deliver the professional and practical skills and competencies which are required to gain employment within the science industry
• Develop technical, analytical, mathematical and evaluative skills
• Develop skills in communication, team work, problem solving and ITC
• Develop student’s self-awareness and self-evaluation, with the emphasis on health and safety in the workplace environment
• Develop students as reflective practitioners, with an understanding of the need for the commitment to lifelong learning
• Provide a suitable basis for the progression to level 5.
Please note: this course will only run when it has a sufficient number of applicants.
All information about your course including the programme structure, entry requirements, fees and teaching & assessment methods is made available to you via the prospectus.
Please see our HE Prospectus available in full online.
Apply for this Higher Education Course »