16-18 year olds

Share This Page
Thank you

Not sure how you will support yourself in College?

Here at the College, we understands that everyone has different needs, not only around learning but also in the support needed to come to college.

We will help you every step of the way to make sure your time in college is hassle free. If you are aged 19 or over and on a further education course at the college, help is available with the following costs.



You can apply for your help with travel if you live 1.5 miles or more from your college centre of attendance / placement and come from a household who’s income is under or up to £25,000.

We ask you to contribute £20 towards your travel pass each term.

Student Fund

The college has a limited fund with which to offer support to students – with additional on course costs such as books, stationery, materials and equipment.

  • You can apply for this support if your household income is under or up to £25,000.

Progress Bursary

The college offers a weekly Progress Bursary to students in certain circumstances. Please contact the Student Finance Team directly for more information.


Government funding is available through the Care to Learn scheme. In order to qualify you must be 19 years of age or under, enrolled on a course of further education, caring for your own children and using a registered childcare provider.

  • To find out if you are eligible, please contact the college information line 0151 252 3000.

Tuition Fee Waiver

Not applicable.

Free Meals

If your family receives one of the welfare benefits listed below, you may be entitle to receive free FE meals if you are aged 16-18 on 31/08/2018.

If you are aged 16-18 on 31/08/2018 and receive  one of the following welfare benefits in your own name, then you may also be eligible for:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based JSA
  • Income-related ESA
  • Support under Part Vi of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by HMRC
  • Working Tax Credit run on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • During the initial roll out of the Universal Credit Benefit


You can download the leaflet here:

Finance Matters Leaflet (17-18)

Additional Notes

You must be aged 16-18 on 31/08/2017 (or aged up to 24 if you have an Education and Health Care Plan – EHCP) for you to be eligible for this support.

Finance Matters

Ask your finance question here!

Do you need to know what financial support is available to you? Contact us using the form below.

This form collects your name, email, date of birth and telephone number so that we can process and respond to your message. Check our Privacy Policy for full details on how we protect and manage your data.