The intent of this study programme is to prepare you for progression to the next level of study or into employment in your chosen trade.
The level 1 programme is a great way to start your career as it enables you to develop the skills and knowledge required whilst applying safe practice alongside gaining confidence to progress in college and into the Construction industry.
Working with materials, such as brick and block, can be very creative, meaning that work which is produced will be admired for years to come. You will gain knowledge and skills required for the use of the specialist tools used for spreading and joint mortar and cutting brick and blocks to size. As a bricklayer you'll need a good head for heights and be happy to work outdoors in all weather conditions. Bricklaying can also be quite physical, so a good level of fitness is important. You'll also need to be precise, accurate and be able to follow instructions
Alongside Brickwork, you must have a dedicated approach to your English and maths sessions. Our expectation is you will make progress by improving the level you have achieved at school or college. You will be assessed for your English and Maths to ensure that you are working at the correct level.
If you have no prior experience and are not employed, then this course might just be what you are looking for.
This programme will help you develop key skills to improve your opportunities of gaining employment. Employers demand that all potential employees can:
• Use maths skills to assist work practices
• Use English skills to communicate, both verbally and written with colleagues and customers
• Attend regularly and arrive on time
• Work safely at all times
• Display excellent practical skills and good trade knowledge
• Work independently or as part of a team
• Find solutions to problems
What will the programme include?
• Maths and English sessions – improve your current level, working towards a GCSE level 4
• Practical workshop sessions – gain skills to earn money
• Theory sessions – be able to link theory to the practical work you have completed
• Work related activities – can you follow instructions and complete an employer challenge?
• Industry guest speakers – listen to what the experts say, ask questions, find out if this career is for you?
• Site visits – tour a live site to observe projects in the local area. See site expectations for safety.
• Work experience – put your learning into practice on a live site.
• Tutorial sessions – develop you personally and plan your career progression
• Skills competitions – showcase your skills, can you win?
CSKILLS NOCN L1 Diploma Brickwork
Math GCSE or Functional Skills
English GCSE or Functional Skills
CSCS exam (linked to excellent performance)
This course leads to...
On successful completion you may be able to progress onto Level 2 courses like:
• CSKILLS NOCN Level 2 Diploma in Brickwork
• L2 Brickwork Standard Apprenticeship (if employed as a bricklayer)
You do not need to have any formal qualifications in Brickwork but you will need to show that you have an interest in the area. You will need to be at Entry 3 or above in English and maths (GCSE grades 2 or above)
Important Note :
All students are required to wear appropriate personal protective equipment in the workshops. Students may be able to purchase these through the college at a reduced cost.
Apply Now »
Need more information or can’t find the course you’re looking for? We can book you in to speak with our dedicated Advice & Guidance team about your options at The City of Liverpool College. With hundreds of courses and flexible learning, we’re sure to have something to meet your needs.
You can contact us online via email@example.com or call us at any point on 0151 252 3000 with any queries you may have – we’re here to help.