Course informationThis is a two year, full level 3 course for 16-18 year olds which is designed to equip students with the essential skills needed when considering a future working in the uniformed public services, such as:
• Fire Service
• Royal Air Forces
• Prison Service
• or the Police.
The aim of our course is to give a realistic insight into the personal and professional skills needed to be an effective member of today’s Public Services. Students will also learn about the values and attitudes needed for working in this challenging, but unique sector.
There are two elements to the course, the first is practical based and includes subjects such as team-building, leadership and fitness activities, the second is around classroom based research in subjects such as government policies and the public service sector.
On this course you will study:
• Public Service Skills
• Leadership and Teamwork
• Understanding Discipline in the Public Services
• Fitness Testing and Training for the Uniformed Public Services
• Outdoor and Adventurous activities
• Career Planning and Development
• Understanding Discipline in the Uniformed Public Services
• Fundamentals of Nautical Studies
• Practical Sports Teams
• Exercise, Health & Lifestyle
• Land navigation by Map & Compass
• Fitness Testing & Training for the Uniformed Public Services
• Skills for Water-Based Outdoor & Adventurous Activities
• Crime & its affect on Society
• Career Planning for the Public Services
• Instructing Physical Activity & Exercise
• Environmental Policies & Procedures
• Employment in the Uniformed Public Services.
The assignments will be in the form of individual or group reports and/or presentations. Some will be integrated with other units. As you will see, a variety of forms of assessment will be used. Some units are assessed externally.
You will benefit from trips and visits spending time with the Armed Forces and the Civilian Uniformed Services. You will gain essential work experience which we will secure you a place on throughout the course. We deliver a number of educational trips, from fire stations to court visits. We invite key speakers from all areas of public services for you to gain insight into their job role and help you decide which career you want to pursue. Our teaching staff are highly qualified and are from all areas of industry, such as experience from senior positions in Merseyside Police, the RAF and Army. The tutors use their experience to ensure you are supported throughout your studies with us and feel confident in your next step.
If you are aged over 19, this course is Advanced Learning Loan eligible which can fully cover the course fee.
Qualifications• BTEC Level 3 Diploma Public Services
• NCFE Level 3 Job and Interview Skills
This course leads to...The City of Liverpool College programme leads to HE provision on courses such as Police and Criminal Investigations. It can also lead to apprenticeship provision and employment.
Entry Requirements• You must be aged 16-18 and have 5 GCSEs at Grade c or above, including English, Maths or alternatively at least a Merit in a BTEC or OCR 1st Diploma or equivalent.
• All applicants will need to complete a satisfactory interview and initial assessment.
• You should show a genuine interest in the study of public services, be disciplined and committed to working hard.
Apply Now »
Further Information...Need more information or can’t find the course you’re looking for? We can book you in to speak with our dedicated Advice & Guidance team about your options at The City of Liverpool College. With hundreds of courses and flexible learning, we’re sure to have something to meet your needs.
You can contact us online via email@example.com or call us at any point on 0151 252 3000 with any queries you may have – we’re here to help.