What is Start?
Start is a free, online careers platform designed to connect 11-18 year olds with their future career potential. It combines the most comprehensive source of information with a personalised experience and career planning tools, helping our students to make more informed decisions about their future study and career options, as well as developing their employability. Start includes:
- A student profile: students build their profile and access personalised study and career information.
- Modules: activities to guide students through the information on Start at the right time.
- Up to date information: engaging content on what to study, where to learn and the world of work.
- Locker: an online record of achievement to evidence skills for future applications and CVs.
- Employability action plan: Students can set goals and stay in control of their career planning.
How can students use it?
All students aged 16-18 have been given their own account for Start in college. This will be used in lessons at different points throughout the year, but it is also accessible any time on computers and compatible mobile and tablet devices.
Students will personalise their profile on Start with details about their skills, qualities, interests and work preferences. This provides a starting point for them to explore information matched to their personal preferences and interests. As they update their profile, Start will personalise this information, helping them to navigate the thousands of jobs, courses, providers and opportunities available.
I’m a parent, how can I help my young person use Start?
We encourage you to use Start with your young person at home. Encourage them to rate jobs, qualifications, colleges, or universities so that we can see their preferences to support them better.
As part of the Careers Advice and Guidance team’s ongoing commitment to support students with their career journey, we would like to get feedback from parents on the careers support offered to your child. You can help us with this by completing our short online survey