Course ID: 163867
Course Year: 21/22
This one year, full-time BA (Hons) Top-Up programme is a direct progression route for students successfully completing the HND Photography or HND Fashion qualification at the college or elsewhere.
It is designed to allow you to build on your knowledge and skills, and specialise in a chosen area such as photography or fashion while also conducting research into contemporary issues in the creative industries and developing themselves professionally. The course is delivered using the College's specialist facilities in The Arts Centre, located in the heart of Liverpool city centre.
You'll select your chosen pathway (photography or fashion) and each programme develops the level and application of specialist skills and knowledge required along with a critical understanding of issues relating to the chosen pathway.
You'll build on your own particular area of expertise in fields in assignment-based and project-based work. You'll also develop their intellectual, critical writing and research skills appropriate to an Honours level programme, through assignment work and writing a dissertation.
A key special feature of the programme is work-related learning, not only in the area of employability but also self-employment, enterprise and entrepreneurship. The current creative industries profession is diverse and increasingly dependent on self-employed practitioners providing specialist services and products. This programme encourages and supports you in the development and application of your self-promotion skills (in the Professional Portfolio and Work Based Learning modules) and the application of your specialist skills and knowledge to chosen area(s) of the profession (in the Portfolio & Promotion and Project Realisation/Dissertation modules).
For applicants starting this BA (Hons) Top-up programme in 2021/22, the course fee is £8,278.
The programme handbook for this course is available to applicants online:
This programme is validated by The Open University. To access the OU Regulations and OU Students' Guide please follow the links below:
Special features of this programme that, together, make it unique in Merseyside at this level are:
• The breadth of knowledge and skills covered across the programme
• A holistic approach to the training of art and design professionals by encouraging transferable learning across a wide range of work related contexts to enable them to pursue sustainable careers
• The balance between theory and practical work across modules
• Regular tutorials throughout the programme with an allocated personal tutor to support each student in academic, professional development and pastoral matters
• A small cohort, benefitting from small class sizes and timetabling designed to enable students to continue with family or work commitments while studying
• The use of real-world briefs and the department’s links with venues and music companies around the city (such as Sound City, Smithdown Road Festival, Laing O’Rourke, Abakhan
• Workshops and master classes given by local, national and international visiting speakers and artists
• Educational visits to locations such as Paris Photo, Iceland, Dublin, London Graduate Fashion Week
• The staffing for this programme, which consists of people with recent and current industry experience across a wide range of creative environments as well as scholarly activity. This valuable mix of experience and knowledge ensure students receive relevant, recent and up to date skills which position them effectively for employment, self-employment or progression to postgraduate study.
• The city centre location of the Arts Centre, which adds further impact to the programme as we are in a key physical position to link in with new and established city centre businesses, as well as being close to other college services such as the LRC and nursery and other HEIs.
The Academy Bakery is located on the Duke Street campus, producing a range of first class baked goods daily. These include artisan breads, patisserie and biscuits, as well as special occasion/novelty cakes by award-winning master-bakers. Students are offered a range of discounts throughout the year.The Academy Bakery
Duke Street is also home to The Academy Hair and Beauty salons. They offer generous student discounts on a wide range of hair and beauty treatments, at a fraction of high-street prices. These include styling, cutting, perming, highlights, facials, manicures, electrolysis and traditional and homeopathic massage.The Academy Salons
Duke Street campus is also home to the College’s Academy Restaurant. Often referred to by it’s customers as Liverpool’s hidden gem, the restaurant serves top class cuisine, at highly competitive prices. Food is expertly prepared by professional chef/tutors and young chefs in training and offers students a range of discounts at different times of the year.The Academy Restaurant
When you become a student of the College you’ll receive full access to Microsoft Office 365. This allows you to install the software on your own computer and other devices at home, completely free of charge.
The college has excellent sports and fitness facilities at its Roscoe Street campus. Students pay a one-off membership fee for all year round usage of weekly supervised gym sessions, as well as access to a number of sporting clubs and events.
Indicative requirements: Level 5 qualification (minimum Merit grade) in Photography or Fashion (e.g. Foundation Degree or HND).
College uses UCAS Tariff points to standardise entry requirements. It is expected that the total tariff score of all your relevant qualifications is at a level of 96 points minimum. This is a points total achieved by converting qualifications such as A levels (and many others) into points, making it simpler for course providers to compare applicants. To check your qualifications tariff value use UCAS tariff calculator: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator
If you are unsure of the entry requirements, or if you don't meet the criteria, please contact our Careers Advice and Guidance team who will be happy to help you find the best option for you. Email email@example.com or call 0151 252 3607.
This course is only available to learners aged 18 and over. Fees are payable by all students unless sponsored by an employer, but you may qualify for a student loan through Student Finance England towards the cost of your course and living costs. Find out more at https://www.gov.uk/student-finance, or contact our HE team at HEoffice@liv-coll.ac.uk.
Fee for21/22 is 8278.00
In future years we anticipate increasing this fee in line with the annual inflation level (capped at RPI All Items Excluding Mortgage Interest (RPIX)).