This BA (Hons) Top-Up programme is a direct progression route for students successfully completing the HND Photography or HND Fashion qualification at the college or elsewhere. It is designed to allow students to build on their knowledge and skills and specialise in a chosen area such as photography or fashion while also conducting research into contemporary issues in the creative industries and developing themselves professionally.
Applicants select their chosen pathway (photography or fashion) and each programme develops the level and application of specialist skills and knowledge required along with a critical understanding of issues relating to the chosen pathway.
Students build on their own particular area of expertise in fields in assignment-based and project-based work. Students also develop their intellectual, critical writing and research skills appropriate to an Honours level programme, through assignment work and writing a dissertation.
A key special feature of the programme is work-related learning, not only in the area of employability but also self-employment, enterprise and entrepreneurship. The current creative industries profession is diverse and increasingly dependent on self-employed practitioners providing specialist services and products. This programme encourages and supports students in the development and application of their self-promotion skills (in the Professional Portfolio and Work Based Learning modules) and the application of their specialist skills and knowledge to chosen area(s) of the profession (in the Portfolio & Promotion and Project Realisation/Dissertation modules).
This programme is validated by the Open University. To access the OU Regulations and OU Students' Guide please follow the links below:
OU Students' Guide
BA (Hons) Degree in Art and Design (Fashion and Photography)
This course leads to...
This programme will produce graduates skilled in a range of specialist areas. Progression will be through direct entry into the creative industries or through further study at postgraduate level, including teacher training.
Indicative requirements: Level 5 qualification (minimum Merit grade) in Photography or Fashion (e.g. Foundation Degree or HND).
All applicants will be interviewed and assessed on their theory knowledge of their subject specialism (a sample assessment will be sent when invited for interview). A portfolio of practical work and a satisfactory reference is required at interview.
College uses UCAS Tariff points to standardise entry requirements. It is expected that the total tariff score of all your relevant qualifications is at a level of 96 points minimum. This is a points total achieved by converting qualifications such as A levels (and many others) into points, making it simpler for course providers to compare applicants. To check your qualifications tariff value use UCAS tariff calculator: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator
Why study with us?
Special features of this programme that, together, make it unique in Merseyside at this level are:
• The breadth of knowledge and skills covered across the programme
• A holistic approach to the training of art and design professionals by encouraging transferable learning across a wide range of work related contexts to enable them to pursue sustainable careers
• The balance between theory and practical work across modules
• Regular tutorials throughout the programme with an allocated personal tutor to support each student in academic, professional development and pastoral matters
• A small cohort, benefitting from small class sizes and timetabling designed to enable students to continue with family or work commitments while studying
• The use of real-world briefs and the department’s links with venues and music companies around the city (such as Sound City, Smithdown Road Festival, Laing O’Rourke, Abakhan
• Workshops and master classes given by local, national and international visiting speakers and artists
• Educational visits to locations such as Paris Photo, Iceland, Dublin, London Graduate Fashion Week
• The staffing for this programme, which consists of people with recent and current industry experience across a wide range of creative environments as well as scholarly activity. This valuable mix of experience and knowledge ensure students receive relevant, recent and up to date skills which position them effectively for employment, self-employment or progression to postgraduate study.
• The city centre location of the Arts Centre, which adds further impact to the programme as we are in a key physical position to link in with new and established city centre businesses, as well as being close to other college services such as the LRC and nursery and other HEIs.Apply Now »
Need more information or can’t find the course you’re looking for? We can book you in to speak with our dedicated Advice & Guidance team about your options at The City of Liverpool College. With hundreds of courses and flexible learning, we’re sure to have something to meet your needs.
You can contact us online via email@example.com or call us at any point on 0151 252 3000 with any queries you may have – we’re here to help.