The BA (Hons) top-up level 6 qualification is a one-year full time higher education qualification for experienced early years' practitioners who have successfully completed a Foundation Degree in Early Years.
Students develop knowledge and understanding of the principles and values that underpin the early years in order to develop their professional practice. The programme aims to encourage students to reflect and critically analyse a range of perspectives in relation to contemporary issues in the early years.
Skills and Knowledge Developed: Students will gain knowledge and understanding of the principles and values that underpin early years in order to develop their professional practice. The programme aims to encourage students to reflect and critically analyse a range of perspectives in relation to contemporary issues in the early years.
On successful completion the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate a systematic understanding of key aspects within the early years, including acquisition of coherent and detailed knowledge, at least some of which is at, or informed by, the forefront of defined aspects of a discipline
- Deploy accurately established techniques of analysis and enquiry
- Devise and sustain arguments, and/or to solve problems, using ideas and techniques, some of which are at the forefront of a discipline
- Describe and comment upon particular aspects of current research, or equivalent advanced scholarship in the discipline
- Appreciate the uncertainty, ambiguity and limits of knowledge
- Manage their own learning, and to make use of scholarly reviews and primary sources
- Apply methods and techniques learned to review, consolidate, extend and apply knowledge and understanding, and to initiate and carry out projects
- Critically evaluate arguments, assumptions, abstract concepts and data (that may be incomplete) to make judgements, and to frame appropriate questions to achieve a solution - or identify a range of solutions to a problem
- Communicate information, ideas, problems and solutions to both specialist and non-specialist audiences
The programme handbook for this course is available to applicants online:
BA Early Childhood Studies Top Up Programme Handbook (19-20)
The course is awarded by the Open University.
BA Honours Degree in Early Childhood Studies
This course leads to...
On completion of the course, graduates can progress to positions of further responsibility within the Early Years workforce. Students can also apply for postgraduate qualifications including Teacher Training or Early Years Teacher Status. Students will need GCSE grade C/4 in maths, English and science to progress onto a postgraduate course.
• A full and relevant early years qualification at level 3
• A Level 5 qualification with 240 credits achieved from a Foundation Degree in Early Years or a similar undergraduate level 5 programme
• Relevant experience within the Early Years
• Students are required to obtain a Disclosure and Barring service (DBS) check
Why study with us?
Within the scheme, there will be opportunity for learners to attain a level of professional practice. The level 6 top-up degree in Early Years is an employment-related educational qualification which will provide students with the specialist knowledge and skills required within the Early Years sector. All modules link theory to practice. Apply Now »
Need more information or can’t find the course you’re looking for? We can book you in to speak with our dedicated Advice & Guidance team about your options at The City of Liverpool College. With hundreds of courses and flexible learning, we’re sure to have something to meet your needs.
You can contact us online via firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at any point on 0151 252 3000 with any queries you may have – we’re here to help.