The purpose of BTEC Higher Nationals in Engineering is to develop students as
professional, self-reflecting individuals who are able to meet the demands of
employers in the rapidly evolving engineering sector and adapt to a constantly
changing world. The qualifications also aim to widen access to higher education
and enhance the career prospects of those who undertake them.
Holders of the Level 5 Higher National Diploma will have developed a sound
understanding of the principles in their field of study, and will have learned
to apply those principles more widely. Through this they will have learned to
evaluate the appropriateness of different approaches to solving problems. They
will be able to perform effectively in their chosen field, and will have the
qualities necessary for employment in situations requiring the exercise of
personal responsibility and decision-making.
The HND in General Engineering provides a specialist work-related programme
of study that covers the key knowledge, understanding and practical skills
required in the Engineering sector. In this pathway students take the two
mandatory core units, two specialist units and additional three optional units.
Mandatory Core Units – all 4 units must be taken:
- Research project
- Professional Engineering Management (Pearson Set Assignment)
- Further Mathematics (specialist unit)
- Lean Manufacturing (specialist unit)
Optional Units – 3 units to be chosen from those below:
- Advanced Mechanical Principles
- Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Further Electrical, Electronic and Digital Principles
- Further Control Systems Engineering
Skills and Knowledge Developed:
- Provide preparation for a range of technical and management careers in
- Provide specialised studies which are directly relevant to individual
vocations and professions in which students are currently working or in which
they intend to seek employment
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment
- Provide flexibility, knowledge, skills and motivation as a basis for
progression to graduate and postgraduate studies
- Develop the range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and
attitudes which are essential for successful performance in working
Special Features: The college has up-to-date equipment and software to
complement or prepare students for work in engineering industries. Released
students are encouraged to complete a work based project.
The programme handbook for this course is available to applicants online:
QualificationsHigher National Diploma in Engineering (General Engineering)
This course leads to...A key progression path for BTEC HND learners it on to a degree programme, or employment.
Entry Requirements• Pearson BTEC Level 4 Higher National Diploma in Engineering (Electrical and Electronic Engineering) - RQF
• Pearson BTEC Level 4 Higher National Diploma in Engineering (General Engineering) - RQF
• Pearson BTEC Level 4 Higher National Diploma in Engineering (Manufacturing Engineering)- RQF
• Pearson BTEC Level 4 Higher National Diploma in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) - RQF
• HNC in a relevant engineering area (preferably RQF)
English language requirements
All students who are non-native English speakers and who have not undertaken their final two years of schooling in English, can demonstrate capability in English at a standard equivalent to the levels identified below, before being recruited to the programme where the programme is both taught and assessed in English:
● Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B2
● PTE 51
● IELTS 5.5; Reading and Writing must be at 5.5
● or equivalent.
Apply Now »
Further Information...Need more information or can’t find the course you’re looking for? We can book you in to speak with our dedicated Advice & Guidance team about your options at The City of Liverpool College. With hundreds of courses and flexible learning, we’re sure to have something to meet your needs.
You can contact us online via firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at any point on 0151 252 3000 with any queries you may have – we’re here to help.