This is a unit-based programme that provides the underpinning knowledge, understanding and skills for a successful career in the health and/or social care sector. A range of core and specialist modules are undertaken, and you will develop your time management and organisational skills.
You will complete a programme of 120 units comprising of 7 different modules, five of which are core modules specified by the awarding body. A further two are chosen by the institution to complement the study programme and enable progression onto the level 5 HND Healthcare Practice programme.
Skills and Knowledge Developed: On the programme, you will study the following mandatory core units:
- Law, Policy and Ethical Practice in Health and Social Care
- Demonstrating Professional Principles and Values in Health and Social Care Practice
- Supporting the Individual Journey through Integrated Health and Social Care
- Fundamentals of Evidence-based Practice (Pearson-set Project)
- Effective Reporting and Record-keeping in Health and Social Care Services
There are also two further optional units:
- Sociological and Psychological Perspectives on Health
- Supporting Dementia Care
You will also study specialist units, including Social Policy; The Sociological Context of Health and Social Care; Psychology for Health and Social Care.
The programme handbook for this course is available to applicants online:
HNC Healthcare Practice Programme Handbook (19-20)
Please note: this course will only run when it has a sufficient number of applicants.
Higher National Certificate in Healthcare Practice
This course leads to...
You can progress to a Level 5 HND in Healthcare Practice.
N.B: This award may allow progression onto another higher education programme of study but you will need to check entry requirements for that programme.
This course is a Level 4 qualification in the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). It does not lead to a professional qualification in nursing, medicine or social work.
At interview, you will need to show us that you have a strong interest in working in the health and social care sector, preferably with an awareness of caring achieved through some health or social care related work experience, paid or voluntary. In addition to this, you will hold one of the following:
• National Certificate or Diploma in Health and Social Care
• AVCE/Advanced GS/NVQ in an appropriate vocational area
• A-level profile which demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or an adequate performance in more than one A-level subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSEs at grade C/4 or above
• Other related level 3 qualification
• Access to Higher Education certificate awarded by an approved
further education institution
Applicants should hold a total UCAS Tariff points score from relevant qualifications of at least 96 points.
Why study with us?
All course tutors are subject specialists with a wide range of extensive experience in these fields of practice. Learners gain an understanding of the use of information and communication technology as a tool in health and social care settings. Guest speakers aid understanding and add currency to your learning. You will also present evidence that effectively reflects your abilities as a developing care worker in the field of health or social care. Apply Now »
Need more information or can’t find the course you’re looking for? We can book you in to speak with our dedicated Advice & Guidance team about your options at The City of Liverpool College. With hundreds of courses and flexible learning, we’re sure to have something to meet your needs.
You can contact us online via email@example.com or call us at any point on 0151 252 3000 with any queries you may have – we’re here to help.