Accessibility toolbar toggle - click here for accessibility features
Language toolbar toggle - click here for additional languages
College news - click here for the college
Share This Page
Thank you

Finance: Aged 16-18

Everyone has different needs, not only around learning but also financial.  If you’re aged 16-18 on 31 August of the year you start your course, we have put a number financial support packages in place to help you come to college.


Click on a title below to find out more.


If you qualify for Free FE Meals, you will also be eligible for a College Bursary of £15 per week, based on attendance and other course-related requirements.

  • If you receive one of the welfare benefits listed below, you may be entitled to receive FE meals if you are aged 16-18 on 31.08.20.
  • If you are aged 16-18 on 31.8.20 and receive one of the following welfare benefits in your own name, then you may be eligible to receive FE meals.

          –   Income Support

          –   Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

          –   Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

          –   Support under Part Vl of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (ASS)

          –   The Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit

          –   Child Tax Credit (provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190.00, as assessed by HMRC

          –   Working Tax Credit run on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit

          –   Universal Credit with net earnings not exceeding the equivalent of £7,400 pa

You will be eligible for one meal a day at one college centre to the value of £3 for each day you attend college.

NOTE: If you are aged between 19 and 25 and are subject to an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) you may be eligible for FE meals.


The Progress Bursary is offered to those who meet the following criteria:

  • Aged 16-18 at the start of your course


Attend a full study programme


  • A care leaver or in care


  • In receipt of Income Support or a Universal Credit in place of Income Support, because you are financially supporting yourself and someone who is dependent on you and living with you such as a child or partner


  • In receipt of Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit instead of ESA and Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment in your own name


  • A young unaccompanied Asylum Seeker in one of the above groups


  • A young carer.
Payment Details
  • £30 per week for 36 weeks per year, based on an 80% attendance requirement.
  • Paid directly into your bank account via BACS.
  • Your household income must be less that £25,000 per year for your application to be considered (evidence of this must be provided).
  • You must have your own bank account and be able to provide the details to receive a payment from the fund.

NOTE: This fund is only available to students who are not eligible for the college bursary.


If you’re a student aged 16-18 on 31 August 2020 and on a full time course, you can apply for help with travel if you:

  • live 1.5 miles away from the college centre where your class/placement is


  • come from a household where the income does not exceed £25,000


  • receive the college’s Progress Bursary

NOTE: You will be asked to make a £20 contribution each term for this pass. If you lose your pass, you will be required to pay £45  for a replacement to be issued.

Termly passes will only be renewed if you meet the 90% attendance requirement.

Got a quick question about fees, funding and finance? Why not


To find out more about the support available, complete the form below.

    This form collects your name, email, date of birth and telephone number so that we can process and respond to your message. Check our Privacy Policy for full details on how we protect and manage your data.